GWISE in collaboration with WISE is proud to announce the WISE mentorship program for the academic year 2020-21. This program will connect undergraduate women in science and engineering with experienced women mentors in similar areas who can share their unique student perspective. The goal of the program is to help both mentors and mentees with their professional and personal development, and to provide both academic and social support to WISE students.
Who is a WISE Mentor?
Our mentors are enthusiastic women pursuing graduate or post-doctoral studies in science and engineering who would like to serve as WISE mentors for the academic year 2020-21. To be a mentor please fill out and submit this application form by September 10th, 2020.
Eligibility Criteria to be a Mentor:
1. Must be a self-identifying woman pursuing graduate (Masters or PhD) or post-doctoral studies in science and engineering fields.
2. Must be in good academic standing.
Incentives to be a Mentor:
1. A $100 Professional Development Fund per semester that can be used towards academic or research-related expenses.
2. Opportunity to broaden your professional and social network, and to strengthen your resume.
3. Opportunity to attend retreats organized exclusively for mentors and mentees.
Responsibilities of a Mentor:
1. Each mentor would be assigned up to 3 undergraduate WISE mentees.
2. Mentors must meet with their mentees once a month (virtually for now via Zoom, Skype etc., or over the phone). It is the responsibility of both the mentor and mentee to find a mutually agreeable time to meet.
3. WISE Mentors and Mentees will be invited to attend two mixers per semester/year (TBD). These mixers can serve as one of the monthly mentor-mentee meetings and will be held virtually for the duration of the pandemic.
4. Mentors are highly recommended to attend monthly events (workshops, talks, etc.) organized by WISE and GWISE.
If you have been a mentor in the past:
1. We would like to know if you are interested in continuing/rejoining as a WISE mentor for 2020-2021.
2. If you do not wish to continue, please make sure you fill out the form indicating the same.
3. Please fill out this form irrespective of whether you were matched to a mentee or not.